Friday, January 16, 2015

01/16 DOUG STEPHAN, MIKAEL SIGOUIN, KA'ENA WINE, STEVE EVANS

DOUG STEPHAN TALKS ABOUT HIS CAREER AND FARMING 

Doug is passionate about radio. Ever since he was a freshman at Heidelberg College in Ohio, he has made it his life's work to create quality programming that entertains, engages and enriche s radio listeners. In the process, Doug has created one of the largest and most successful independent radio organizations in the country.

But the road to success in radio is rarely easy. After graduation, Doug didn't work full-time in radio. Instead, his early career paths exposed him to a wide variety of experiences - from teaching middle school English to running a number of family businesses - although he was never far from his true passion.

He worked on-air wherever and whenever he could - sometimes on 3 stations at the same time - weekends, evenings, whenever he got the chance -all the way from Boston to Providence, Rhode Island. In the early 1980s, while looking for his big break, he was Operations Director at WEEI-AM, a Boston news station,.

Finally, in 1988, he got the chance to do the radio show he dreamed about when he was chosen by American Radio Network to host a new program, GOOD DAY USA. Once again, the road wasn't smooth. With ARN being battered by a series of ownership changes, Doug decided to risk everything to do the show he believed in - and took control of the program.

He changed the name to DOUG STEPHAN'S GOOD DAY, purchased his own satellite time, set up a studio in his home and then found radio stations to run the program. In the beginning, he even sold his own advertising. To support GOOD DAY, he worked on-air at national powerhouses such as KABC, Los Angeles and KMOX, St. Louis.

All of the hard work, vision and ingenuity paid off as DOUG STEPHAN'S GOOD DAY is currently heard on over 350 radio stations by over 3 and a half million listeners every week. Doug is now among the top national talk radio personalities according to TALKERS magazine.

His company, Stephan Multimedia, is the largest independent producer of talk radio programming in the country, with offices in New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco and Washington DC, and his reach has extended to Podcasting and the Internet.

But the statistics and growth are only a small part of Doug's success story. The real story is the relationship that he has cultivated with his listeners.

As Doug says, 'I love helping people start every day as a good day, which can include an offbeat slightly crazy story, a shot of humor, or the top news you need to know. Sometimes I like to describe the show as the fun, foibles and frustrations of day-to-day life - filtered through the psyches of both myself and the listener.

The listeners are so important because I am motivated to help people grow - and that includes me. I like to engage, provoke, entertain and inform - to stimulate, sometimes in unexpected ways. Some people even call me a contrarian. I like to think of myself as an entertainer with a mission'.
Doug Stephan is on the Board of Trustees at Heidelberg College and the 4H Foundation Board. He has received numerous industry awards and provided community service for Big Brothers. His children live and work in Los Angeles.


MIKAEL SIGOUIN (MICHAEL SEEGWIN) – WINEMAKER,  KA’ENA WINE

ABOUT US
Kaena was launched in 2001 to showcase Mikael’s deep passion for Grenache. Kaena is a boutique winery that sources from Tierra Alta Vineyard and Larner Vineyard in the Ballard Canyon AVA , primarily.  Mikael who is part Hawaiian and raised on the Oahu shores, uses a shortened version of his given name for the brand – Kaena – which means “potential for greatness”.

That “greatness” is evident in the wines – in 2006 Wine Spectator named Mikael one of the top 10 new Rhone  producers.  Known affectionately by his peers and fans as The Grenache King – Kaena produces 2000 cases of Rhone & other varietals with an emphasis on Grenache.

Mikael credits his success, growth and nickname to his passion for making truly handcrafted wines.  He also credits his wife, Sally, for her design and management of the Kaena Tasting Room located in Los Olivos, California.

WINEMAKING
Winemaking is deeply personal to me.  It is my artistry, my meditation, my profession, my life. It has been 15 years now and when I look back at my first harvest at Beckmen Vineyards in 1999, the slope of my learning curve was exponentially vertical.  I absorbed everything I could.  After a few years, I moved to Fess Parker Winery, and in 2006 I returned to Beckman as head winemaker, where I continue to work today while making Kaena Wines.  Along the way I have had incredible opportunities to work amongst some of the best winemakers in the Santa Ynez Valley. They helped guide me toward my winemaking goals of establishing my own brand and taught me great lessons: Work as hard as you possibly can.  Ask questions. Be aware. Most importantly, be humble. My first vintage of syrah I had to press by hand through cheesecloth. That was 2001. We all have to start somewhere.

Through the years, I have also been fortunate to work with a tremendous variety of fruit from incredible vineyards here in Santa Barbara County.  This exploration has led me   to my primary focus: Grenache.  It is a varietal that is  intensely aromatic, sexy, feminine, bold and always full of surprise. In my obsession with this varietal, my goal is to create the most diverse Grenache portfolio in the Santa Ynez Valley by working with the best fruit available.  I am pretty close to accomplishing this goal.

While wine was not an integral part of my childhood in Hawaii, the paradise of flavors, colors and aromas that I was surrounded by prepared my palate to understand the delicate nuances in fragrance and taste. This overwhelming sensory experience was enhanced by my great-grandmother, Tutu, who raised me.  I’d spend hours by her side watching her patiently layer ingredients in every meal, gently coaxing the best flavors to shine through. Through her work, she taught me to nurture and respect the tremendous gifts we are given.  Never at a loss for words, she called me “Ka’ena’ai” – meaning “potential for greatness.”

My island experiences are embedded in my DNA.  They are the reason I strive to make unique wines expressing the spectrum of their place. With Kaena Wines now in its second decade, I honor the responsibility my great-grandmother gave me.

WWW.KAENAWINE.COM


STEVE EVANS - "THE MOVIE GUY"

GREAT MOVIES OPENING THIS WEEKEND AND BOX OFFICE PREDICTIONS AND HOPES. FIND OUT WHAT MOVIES ARE WORTH YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY. GET SET FOR THE WEEKEND.